Friday, September 19, 2014

Five for Friday - Weekend Freebie

Trying to not let the back-to-school madness bring my blogging to a standstill.  I'm going to do a quick link up with Doodle Bugs Five for Friday.


 

Even though I haven't had time to make or post any new items to my TpT store in the last few weeks, I've been gaining new followers and doing very well.  I had a goal of reaching 50 followers before school started.  I was just shy of that goal at the time, but have since made it, and am now at 61.  As a thanks, I'm putting one of my items for free for the weekend.  I created my grade-level spelling task cards mid-year last year, but this year I'm using them as a pre-assessment now, and then plan to do it again at the end of the year.  I've already done this, and am keeping the students' answers to give back to them with their answers at the end of the year.  This could easily be used with grades 3-5.



 

While we love our house and neighborhood, the many restrictions force us to keep our eyes open.  This summer we saw a couple of possibilities, and I reminded my husband that if the "perfect" house comes along, we have some unfinished projects here that should be wrapped up if we need to list.  So extending our back patio to go with the door off the dining room we put in years ago is a must.  Well, the patio still isn't done, but he did finish the fire pit that he wants to put on the corner.  Hard to see in the pic, but it's done above and beyond the typical fire pit.  My boys are enjoying the first fire together.


 

So, I've gotten through two "normal" weeks with our new series.  However, this past week we had to give CogAt tests, which ate up a chunk of instructional time.  And next week has several interruptions scheduled too...  So, we decided to not continue onto week 3 next week.  Instead, we are going to spend more time practicing the literature standard skills we've introduced so far.  We also are going to introduce the Flex schedule that will be our Friday routine, and give students an opportunity to practice working within this independent structure.  I'm thinking about getting a sign to hang on my door so that I can have a normal week in which I can focus on TEACHING!

 


 

I'm proud of my daughter in her ability to begin her 8th grade year successfully!  I've always had to really check her grades and get on her for late/missing assignments, incomplete assignment book, failed test grades, etc...  Intrinsic motivation is not something either of my children yet have:(  So far this year she has been getting everything done (well, one missing assignment).  All her grades are A's and B's, and I haven't had to do anything!!!!  On top of this, she is juggling cross country and soccer.  Very happy and proud of her. 

Displaying photo.PNG



Quote board finally done and hanging!  Jumping into the blogging world as a reader this summer had me crafting (which is not something I do).  I loved this idea from Tara at Monday Made It, and decided to give it a try.  There were many problems and redos, but I finally got it.  My advice for anyone looking to craft with chalkboard items, avoid the spraypaint!  The paint is expensive, but using a Michaels coupon makes it affordable.  I paired a quote or proverb with all of my Weekly ELA sheets, and included the quote and mini-bios as part of my TpT product, but also made these quote and bio posters available by themselves.  You can see the mini bio hanging under the quote board.  I only wish I could make my handwriting look neater..



I hope everyone has a great weekend!  Thanks for stopping by:)

No comments:

Post a Comment